Legal Services for

Wills, Probate and Administration

The position of executor or administrator (generally called “a personal representative”) of an estate can be time consuming and onerous and the work to be undertaken to wind an estate up, quite difficult at times. It is important that any work to be carried out is undertaken with a considerable amount of care and attention to avoid the personal representative being personally liable.

We have over 100 years experience in Wills and Probate Administration. We can help you whether you require our full estate administration service or just simply some advice and assistance. We explain below our charges taking into account the degree of attention which must be given to ensure that a personal representative does not become personally liable for any claims against the estate.

How the bill is made up.

The bill is likely to comprise three elements:-

i Our Costs – in other words the charge we make for the work that we do

ii Vat – the tax imposed on our costs and on some of the expenses paid on behalf of the estate

iii Expenses – the fees that we have to pay to others, such as to the probate registry for obtaining the grant of probate or administration, to an expert for valuing certain assets which form part of the estate or to an accountant for completing business accounts.

How we charge for our work.

The basis on which we charge for our work will vary depending upon the complexity and value of the estate.

i Estimated costs – where the estate is quite simple, and the work is likely to be straightforward, we will be able to estimate what our costs are likely to be. You will appreciate that an estimate can only ever be an approximation based on the work that we expect to do, and cannot be binding. If unexpected matters arise, or the work becomes more onerous than expected then this will affect the costs that we charge.

ii Complex matters – where the work is more complex it may be difficult to estimate, with any degree of accuracy what the likely costs might be. Our charges are assessed on the time we spend in dealing with the estate, its complexity, the urgency to a particular client and the value involved. The basis of these charges is in accordance with the Law Society guidelines.

On request our Accounts department can provide you with a list giving details of the categories of staff that may have responsibility for undertaking the work involved, the rates at which time is charged, and the cost of routine letters and telephone calls. These rates do not include VAT.

Our rates are reviewed in April of each year and if the winding up of the estate is still proceeding at that time you may request a revised list from our Accounts department.

When are the costs due?

Legal costs are not usually taken until the administration of the estate has been completed.

Before the assets of the estate are distributed to the beneficiaries an Estate Account is prepared. This presents a complete financial picture of the estate and its administration, including the cost of the work we have undertaken on behalf of the personal representatives.

The Estate Account will be given to the personal representatives for approval before the estate is fully and finally distributed.

If the personal representatives have any questions concerning our charges then these can be referred to the member of staff who dealt with the administration of the estate, or with the Probate Partner.

Lasting Power of Attorney

A Lasting Power of Attorney (Property & Affairs) is your written authority for someone else to do things for you, and to handle your money and property, even if you become mentally incapable of doing these things yourself. An ordinary Power of Attorney is of no use to you in this sort of situation. It becomes invalid if you become mentally incapable.

How can it help me?

If you are having difficulty or become incapable of managing matters for yourself then someone else can do it for you. They can manage your property, pay your bills, take decisions for you and so on.

If you don’t appoint someone to act on your behalf in this way then you may have to face all sorts of practical difficulties.

It may become necessary for someone to apply on your behalf to the Court of Protection so that a Deputy can be appointed to look after your affairs.

This can be quite an expensive and lengthy process, something which is likely to cause a considerable amount of stress to your family.

If you sign a Lasting Power of Attorney before you become unable to manage your affairs, then the need to make an application to the Court of Protection for the appointment of a Deputy can be avoided.

A Lasting Power of Attorney is only valid when you sign it when you are fully capable of understanding what you are doing.

Before it can be used it must be registered with the Office of the Public Guardian, which is the administrative arm of the Court of Protection.

If you leave it too late you will not be able to authorise someone to act on your behalf. They will have no choice but to refer the matter to the Court of Protection.

Who should I appoint?

You can appoint anyone. Most people prefer to appoint someone from their own family.

You can appoint two people if you like, and you can insist that they can only exercise the power if they act together.

What happens if I change my mind?

If you are still capable of understanding what you are doing, you can revoke the Lasting Power of Attorney and manage things by yourself.

Can a Lasting Power be limited?

Yes. You can limit what it can be used for; if your family are concerned about how it is being used they can ask the Court of Protection to investigate.

What should I do now?

If you want more information call at our office, write or telephone us and we will be pleased to help you. An appointment can be made with one of our experienced solicitors, who will give you more information, discuss your requirements and prepare the necessary documentation.

You may also wish to consider making a Lasting Power of Attorney (Health and Welfare). This would allow your Attorneys to make decisions on your behalf concerning your health and welfare when you are no longer able to make these decisions yourself. It can include authority for your Attorneys to consent to or refuse life-sustaining treatment for you. Once again, the Lasting Power of Attorney (Health and Welfare) must be registered with the Office of the Public Guardian before it can be used and it can only be used if and when you are no longer able to make these decisions for yourself.

Making and registering either or both types of Lasting Power of Attorney is a relatively simple procedure and we are happy to help you with the same.


Guy Goodings| Fiona Grogan
Jon Grogan


Contact Us

Telephone Blyth: 

01670 352293

Telephone Morpeth:

01670 519714

Telephone Whitley Bay:

0191 2533509

Visit our social media to like, share and follow us...

ICO No. Z729984X

FCA No. LS 596109

Equality & Diversity Survey